Thursday, February 14, 2008

More drama. Luciano (remember him? He was in that photo from a while back) gave a rose to Giulia (the girl that has been all over me) today (thank God!). The thing is, Luciano used to really like Ilaria, but she apparently didn't want him. Nonetheless, Ilaria was very noticeably jealous (I noticed she was in a weird mood before I even found out Luciano had given Giulia the rose). After dinner I heard Ilaria tell Giulia to go into the room with her. A little while later Ilaria came out and told Luciano Giulia was waiting for him. Then, like a minute after, Ilaria went to go see what they were doing and never came back. Marc and Giada joked about a threesome (Marc said he hoped Luciano had two dicks, or "due cazzi"). Soon after, Giulia went back to her apartment and Ilaria went to bed. Then, Luciano told me he liked Giulia, but didn't want Ilaria to be jealous and asked me if I would tell him if I hear them say anything about him. I told him sure, but I'm not positive how accurate that is because if Giulia doesn't like him, I refuse to be the one to tell him. Oh and Marc and Giada are playing the whole "we're not together" thing again, but I saw them making out in the kitchen.

Things I dislike about Francesca:

1. This afternoon she was talking on the phone with her mother (who is here in Bologna for two weeks) and I heard her say: "In order for you to enjoy yourself and for me to enjoy myself I need you to respect that space," which apparently meant that she felt that she and her mother were spending too much time together. I felt like telling her that she didn't exactly respect her mother's space when she came barreling out of her vagina and that she ought to be able to suffer her mother's company for a measly two weeks, especially when her mother came all the way from Seattle, is in a strange city in which she doesn't know the native language, hadn't seen her all year (not even during the summer since Francesca did the Middlebury Italian Program), and may not see her for God knows how long (I believe Francesca is considering remaining here when the program finishes). I found out a little while ago that Francesca spent the whole night with a friend tonight, which means her mother sat home alone in her hotel room.

2. This afternoon I was walking towards the shower with my towel in hand when Francesca, who had just walked in the door and was in the middle of taking off her coat, said: "No. I'm taking a shower. I have to meet a friend." I looked at her (probably with fire in my eyes) and said, "Well I have to meet my language partner." She said something about her showers being fast and I responded that mine were faster. She said fine and I went in the shower.

3. She acts like a child when someone disagrees with her. Example: a couple of weeks ago, Marc, Francesca, and I were talking and Francesca used the verb "retirare" to mean "to retire," as in "to retire from a job." Marc told her "retirare" meant "to withdraw." I told her "to retire" is "andare in pensione." Marc agreed. Francesca insisted that it could also mean "to retire" and cited various names of Italians who had told her so. I tried to tell her that maybe they meant "to retire" as in "to retire to one's room" (or "to withdraw from company"), since a lot of Italians that know some English seem to have learned more old-fashioned ways of saying things like using "fancy" for liking someone. She continued to insist it meant "to retire." Marc and I gave up arguing.

4. She still says "WOWoooooooooooooooooo" in exclamation, though less frequently.

5. I think she might make fun of my Italian sometimes. She occasionally will repeat back something I say in a mocking sort of voice.

6. Probably worst of all - today she tried to eat the gelato I bought at the supermarket. I almost flipped out. Luckily, Giada made a big scene and said that she wanted some too (she didn't really) and that I could only choose one person. Francesca put it back and we dropped the subject.

Now, I want to make this clear: I don't dislike Francesca. She can be very understanding and quite nice, however the things she did today warranted a post.