Thursday, June 18, 2009

Made it back from apartment hunting alive, despite some people's concern that Jeff was a serial killer. Here's the highlight of peak worry time:

Scene: Jeff and I are sitting in his car about to enter a sketchy looking apartment.

Jeff: I wonder if we're about to be killed. I have a knife in here.

I of course immediately text Vincent Jeff's words

Vincent: ...run. actually dont run. that may make him see you as prey. you'll have to take him by surprise. attack from behind.

I died laughing.

Anyway, so we've narrowed it down to two places:

This one is in Sunderland, which is about 10-15 minutes away from UMass and right on the free bus route. It's very nice and the one we would get has a washer and dryer in the unit. The total cost to us for everything (rent, utilities, tv, internet, etc.) would be around $1175/month.

This one is in Holyoke, which is about 25 minutes away from UMass. It was recommended that if we want to take the bus that we drive 10 minutes to Northampton and then take the 15 minute bus ride to UMass. The apartment was really nice, definitely bigger than the Sunderland place. The rent is only $775/month. Plus, since Jeff volunteered to do snow removal, he's knocking off $50/month. Also, if we agree to take care of his two twin kitties for the year (they're adorable and really friendly!), he'll cut off even more of the rent per month. The apartment is fully furnished and rent includes cable and internet. The total cost to us for everything would be around $900/month.

I'm leaning towards the second, but I'm curious what you guys think.

P.S. The landlord of the Northampton apartment we saw was ENRAGING! He made us park in the back parking lot that is under reconstruction and then DRAGGED us through the mud to get to the apartment. I was nearly ankle deep in mud. And all he had to say for himself was "Oh, again, I'm really sorry. I should have taken you the other way. That was just the stupidest thing I've ever done." Yes, it was.